Whether you are planning to visit loved ones or attend the biggest concerts in your city this season, Bolt is here to take you there.The leading on-demand transportation platform in Africa, formerly known as Taxify is reinforcing its commitment to make commute this festive season […]
The history of calendars, means that people creating and using methods for keeping track of days and larger divisions of time, covers a practice with ancient roots. Calendars are explicit schemes used for timekeeping.
The Sumerian calendar was the earliest, followed by the Egyptian, Assyrian and Elamite calendars. Over decades the calendars have been refined and upgraded and Gregorian calendar is the most widely used civil calendar in the world. It is named after Pope Gregory XIII, who introduced it in October 1582.
Calendars are known to be different in dates and festivals every new year. however there are some that can re-incarnate from older versions but to verify the similarity is to use festival dates such as Easter which is a globally accepted date.
2019 calendar is a re-incarnation of 1895 and 1957 calendars. Easter Sunday for the year 2019 is April 21 which is the same date in 1895 and 1957. Every calendar year comes with different events of which must of these events must happen. These events that are bound to take place are events that we do not have control over such as births, deaths, natural disasters etc. There the unique events that we have control over and determine when we want it to happen.
Both 1895 and 1957 have their own share in these controlled events and here are a few:
Notable events of 1895:
- World’s first portable handheld electric drill is developed by brothers Wilhelm and Carl Fein in Germany
- Grace Chisholm Young is the first woman awarded a doctorate at a German university
- W.E.Du Bois becomes the first African American to receive Ph.d from Harvard University.
- Wilhelm Rontgen discovers a type of radiation (Later known as Xrays)
Notable events of 1957:
- Hamilton Watch Company launch the first electric watch on the third of January.
- IBM sells the first computer for the Fortran Scientific programming language.
- On October 16, Antonio Vilas Boas, Brazilian farmer, claims to have been abducted by extraterrestrials, the first famous alien abduction case.
- Toyota started exporting cars to the United States of America on October 31 with the cars being Toyota Crown and Toyota Land Cruiser.
- Boeing 707 flies for the first time on the 20th of December.
What then will 2019 offer or will 2019 do something that every other year has not achieved? Will 2019 bring a unique invention that will wow the world?
what is your take?