The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar has disclosed that the Federal Government has expressed its support for community policing and willingness to fund it. Speaking to newsmen after a meeting with President Buhari alongside other service chiefs, Abubakar also disclosed that the Nigerian Air […]
A mother-of-one claims to have been bitten ten times by a false widow spider after it became trapped inside her jeans that were hung outside to dry.
Sarah Hood has suffered with ‘intense burning pain’ and endured three hospital stays after she believes she was bitten by the spider in November last year.
Ms Hood, 53, known as Nikki to friends and family, was bitten whilst dining at the Amwell Tandoori Indian restaurant in Ware, near her home in Hertford.
She has recalled the terror of realizing how it had been trapped between her jeans and her skin for up to an hour.
Ms Hood was bitten after fetching her jeans in off the washing line and getting changed in a hurry to go out for dinner.
Ever since the day she was bitten, NHS doctors have struggled to cure the bites, which have violently flared up twice in the past year. Each time the bites flare up, Ms Hood finds herself in ‘agonizing’ pain and requiring urgent medical care.
The nanny has even been ‘turned away’ from a tropical disease walk in centre because she was bitten in Britain.
Ms Hood said the spider, with a large ‘bulbous’ body, wriggled free from her trousers and crawled onto the table – but she flicked it off with a menu and felt no pain.
She added: ‘I saw it crawl on to the table out of the corner of my eye. I thought it was weird because it’s not every day you see a spider like that.’
Even for hours after she was bitten, Ms Hood said she felt no pain and only noticed the ten ‘prominent puncture marks’ on her leg later that night before going to bed.
However over the course of the next two days, the bites became ‘massively infected’ and intensely painful. She said it felt like she was being burned by ‘boiling hot water’.
Ms Hood said the ‘intense heat’ has left her unable to sleep at night and needing to take time off work.
She has spent around ten days in hospital over three separate occasions after the bites have flared up with aggressive infections.