In every profession the word “quack” plays an important role in defining and shaping that industry. Quackery is the promotion of fraudulent or ignorant practices in a profession such as medicine, engineering, law, real estate etc. A quack is a person who pretends professionally or publicly to have skill, knowledge. Or qualifications he or she does not possess. The major form of quackery is Charlatan who can also be seen as a swindler.
The real estate industry has had its fair share of quackery. In Nigeria, the fight against quacks seems to be a lost one as the regulatory body has adopted the adage of “if you can’t beat them join them”. There is a difference between a Realtor and an Estate Surveyor but most quacks parade themselves under the umbrella of the regulatory body for Realtors. Even that body is having a hard time to weed out the quacks from their midst.
Realty is an aspect of real estate under Agency which requires professional training and certification. The following reasons will tell you why dealing with a quack is a waste of valuable time:
1. Quacks are not trained, not licensed and in most cases they do not really have offices. They are floaters.
2. Quacks are only concerned about their fees and nothing more.
3. They do not understand clients’ briefs and so their level of interpretation is poor.
4. Quacks do not understand the technicalities of the valuation of properties hence they tag exorbitant prices on properties for rents or sale.
5. They hardly carry out proper checks on the properties and are less concerned about the state of properties they show clients
6. They are not professional, corporate and most times dress poorly when they deal with clients.
7. Customer service is not their strong area. Some of them are rude and get angry easily when clients complain about a property.