Big Brother Naija 2019 winner, Mercy Eke was spotted earlier today on a bike while heading to the airport with her luggage. According to reports, the traffic congestion in Lekki, Lagos was quite bad which was why the reality show star opted for the service […]
The abaya “cloak” (colloquially and more commonly, Arabic: عباية ʿabāyah , especially in Literary Arabic: عباءة ʿabāʾah ; plural عبايات ʿabāyāt , عباءاتʿabāʾāt ), sometimes also called an aba, is a simple, loose over-garment, essentially a robe-like dress, worn by some women in parts of the Muslim world including in North Africa and the Arabian Peninsula.
Traditional abayat are black and may be either a large square of fabric draped from the shoulders or head or a long kaftan. The abaya covers the whole body except the head, feet, and hands. It can be worn with the niqāb, a face veil covering all but the eyes. Some women also wear long black gloves, so their hands are covered as well.
The Indonesian and Malaysian women’s traditional dress kebaya gets its name from the abaya. A kebaya is a traditional blouse-dress combination that originated from the court of the Majapahit Kingdom (today Indonesia), and is traditionally worn by women in Indonesia, and also Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, southern Thailand, Cambodia and the southern part of the Philippines.
The rationale for the abaya is often attributed to the Quranic quote, “O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters, and the believing women, to cover themselves with a loose garment.
Types of Abaya Fabric
1.Lexus – Woven, Soft hand-feel with a nice drape quality and has a matte finished
2. Internet -Thick, slightly slippery to touch and have a sligthly shinning overtone
3. Nidha – Soft and luxurious, the more expensive abayas are usually made from this fabric. Nidha comes in different quality. The better the quality the higher the price of the abaya.
4. Jersey – Stretchy knit fabric mostly used to made Farasha abayas because of it’s beautiful drape quality. It is also used for abayas that has fitted sleeves
5. Poly Crepe – There are a few kind of poly crepe ranging from lightweight to medium weight. It has great drape quality, has a smooth matte finished.
6. Pebble Poly crepe – Most Abaya from Jordan are made from pebble poly-crepe fabric. The surface has an obvious weave and the finished is not as smooth as the other poly-crepe.
6. Satin – Soft, slippery satin feel with shiny finished
7. Chiffon – Chiffon are lightweight soft see-through fabric and used for making flowy fancy kaftan. Most of these fancy kaftan will either team-up with Satin underdress or chiffon knit mesh underdress that will not add weight to the kaftan
Most Dubai abayas are either made from Internet or Lexus fabric. The prices varies depending on the weight and quality of those fabric, the embroidery and the rhinestone used. Regardless of the material used the abaya could be slightly see-through so wearing a half-slip or skirt under the abaya would be advisable.
Source: wikipedia; hayaaclothing.com